Over the past two months, my team and I have knocked on hundreds of doors in Don Valley North. Without fail, the topic of education comes up each and every time we canvass. Clearly it is one of the most important issues for Don Valley North residents. This makes a lot of sense to me because it is one of the most important issues for me too.
I began my political life as a parent-advocate in our community fighting Conservative cuts to education. Our Ontario Liberal Party has spent years repairing that damage and building up our education system to make sure that we are setting our children on the best possible path to success.
Our Ontario Liberal Party has strengthened our education system by:
- Instituting free tuition for low and middle income students because attending college or university should be based on a student’s potential and not on their ability to pay.
- Implementing full day kindergarten which has been proven to put Ontario’s young students significantly ahead in reading, writing and numeracy.
- Doubling funding for school boards to support local well-being priorities, including school breakfast programs, bullying prevention, recreational activities, and staff professional development.
- Investing capital funding for school boards to support the creation of new schools and renovations to existing ones because better buildings support better learning.
- Lowering class sizes because students in smaller classes get more attention, do better and are more likely to succeed in high school and beyond.
It is always easier to tear things down than to build things up. The Conservatives are threatening to dismantle the improvements to education that we have made over the years. Together we can stop them and continue to make sure that our children receive the best education possible so that they are internationally competitive and successful.