Housing is essential for families across Ontario, yet too many are being affected by pressures of trying to buy a home or afford their rent. During my time on Toronto City Council, access to safe, affordable housing has been a priority for me. I have fought hard to ensure that as part of the new developments taking place in Don Valley North, we have included rent supplements, affordable rental units, affordable home ownership units and revitalized social housing units.
Our Liberal government has demonstrated that affordable housing is a priority for all of us. Ontario’s Fair Housing Plan puts forward a multifaceted set of actions to ensure Ontarians have access to affordable, stable, and safe housing. This is the foundation every Ontarian needs to secure employment, raise a family and build strong communities.
Better Protection for Tenants:
- Expands rent control to all private rental units, including those built after 1991. This means that tenants won’t have to worry about sudden and dramatic rent increases.
- Strengthen the Residential Tenancies Act to protect tenants and provide predictability for landlords by developing a standard lease with explanatory information available in multiple languages.
Better Protection for Homebuyers:
- Modernization of rules and strengthened professionalism to improve the home-buying experience with a goal to make Ontario a leader in real estate standards.
- Education for consumers on their rights, particularly on the issue of one real estate professional representing more than one party in a transaction.
- Require municipalities to consider an appropriate range of unit sizes to accommodate a diverse range of household sizes and incomes.
Increasing the Housing Supply:
- Identification of provincially owned surplus lands that could be used for affordable and rental housing development.
- Development of a five-year program to encourage the construction of new purpose-built rental apartment buildings by rebating a portion of the development charges.
- Empower municipalities to introduce a vacant homes tax to encourage property owners to sell unoccupied units or rent them out to address concern about residential units being left vacant by speculators
Making it more affordable to buy or rent a home is part of the Liberal Party of Ontario’s plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives. That’s a fairer Ontario in which we all prosper.